Though often overlooked and difficult to develop, the significance of the “conclusion” in essay writing cannot be overstated. Conclusion influences the reader’s experience of an essay, provides a bridge to guide reader back to their normal life, and convinces the reader to comprehend that all the data, analysis and information presented by the essay writer is of value to them. Further, it informs the final words of the subject and related issues pinpointed in the essay paper, synthesize the presented ideas to showcase the significance of writer’s thoughts, transform readers to new perspective regarding the issue, and exude a last impression and positive note. Nevertheless, conclusion can transcend beyond the boundaries of the assignment to permit the writer to explore broader subjects, make comments, and expound on the importance of the findings by essay writer. Hence, this paper provide insights into how to make smart conclusions in essay writing:
- The conclusion paragraph should adopt the specific to general structure, and summarize the essay content without redundancy, exemplify the significance of essay and finalize with an interesting thought or question.
- When developing the conclusion statement, consider the questions “so what?” about the argument, and “why should anybody care?/why does what the writer has written matter?”. The writer should then ponder on the questions and respond to them in making conclusion.
- Revisit and list the key ideas/themes introduced in the introductory paragraph of the essay to assist in guiding the reader to full cycle. This may also enhance focus to avoid introduction of new information or topic in the conclusion.
- Consider any themes you introduced in the first paragraph of the essay, and the possibility of developing them further to make a conclusion.
- Writer can now focus on possibility of linking the argument to broader, “bigger picture”, context. This may enable a reader to understand how they may apply the arguments of the essay to other topics, hence broadening the sense and purpose of the essay. Writer may insert a provocative thought, insight or quotation of the research or literature, the writer read for the essay.
- Writer should synthesize the conclusion, not to summarize. This should entail the brief summary of the key points of the essay, but not simply repeating the exact things in the essay. The writer should display to the reader the connection between the premises made, and the supportive examples presented by the writer.
- Writer may also propose a solution or course of action for an issue or questions for further study; hence, guiding the essay readers through the process, and assisting the reader to transfer the ideas and information to their own practical life for bigger implications.
Nonetheless, the essay writers should avoid a number of strategies when working on smart conclusion such as; commencing the conclusion paragraph with unnecessary and overused phrases such as “in conclusion”, “in summing”, and “in closing”. Writers should avoid stating the thesis statement for the first time in the conclusion; and desist from introducing an entirely new idea or subtopic in conclusion; avoid paraphrased thesis without basic changes. Furthermore, essay writers should avoid the use of emotional and sentimental statements, out of line with the rest of the analyzed essay paper; and writers should not include the evidence-based quotations and statistics which should have been presented earlier in the body of the essay paper.
Besides, in case of argumentative essay, the writer should guide the readers to knowing the merits for the topic the writer is writing on, for instance, in terms of significance and the reasons why the writer thinks his or her argument is right. The writer may move further to present what would be the implication if the readers or society as a whole decide to oppose the writer’s view.